Monday 22 June 2009

Women Professors in Japan

I was at the meeting of French scientists in Japan, Scienscope and heard the invited speaker who is a Japanese lady Professor who got her degree outside of Japan.
Obviously I am very naive because I applied to many of the new positions that have been made available at Japanese Universities for foreign researchers and educators in science as Professors or equivalent positions.
I asked if there were any non-Japanese women in such positions, but there weren't any. The percentage of women in top positions is around 10%. Interesting as it seems to be so in many countries.
After years I asked why I was not accepted, I got the reply that I was too old, before that it was "too young". My husband was encouraging me to pursue my hobby, he probably knew the situation but didn't want to discourage me.
Now my eyes are open, and in a way I don't feel so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment